Today is a national holiday in Australia and the day most Australian's celebrate 'Australia Day.'
However in recent years there has been growing awareness about the fact that the anniversary that this date commemorates is the day on which 'The First Fleet' set foot on this land and claimed it as a British colony.
Because of this, growing numbers of Australians are choosing to avoid celebrating 'Australia Day,' preferring to refer to it as Invasion Day or Survival Day. I am one of these. I believe it is wrong to celebrate the 'birth' of one nation and ignore the destruction of another.
In my attempt to ignore this holiday I went thrift shopping and saw Black Swan.
If I had to sum this film up I would describe it as a frenzy of anxiety, self harm and sadness.
Natalie Portman is definitely amazing in her role as Nina.
I was also astonished by how strongly it reminded me of the 1948 film The Red Shoes. You could almost call Black Swan a darker, modern adaptation of The Red Shoes.
If you haven't yet seen The Red Shoes, it is a MUST see!
x L




3 comments:
I never knew that was day...I agree it is wrong to celebrate the birth and ignore the destruction of another:)
.....I love the red shoes film xxx
agree entirely on the issue of australia day. i can understand the urge to want to have a day to celebrate our culture (although personally i don't see much to celebrate...), but the day we celebrate it on is just inappropriate!
xx
i agree completely. my friends and i refer to it as Triple J Hottest 100 day, as there is something really sad and twisted about what we are supposed to be celebrating on that particular day.
thank you for the lovely post x
krystal
Post a Comment