Tuesday, 27 December 2011

How To: Go 1940s on a budget

As you know, I love absolutely all kinds of vintage, but I do not like to spend a lot of time getting ready in the morning or the night before, which is why I spend much of my time wearing the practical, straight-haired vintage of later eras. Lately though I have been feeling a certain nostalgia for older styles (probably brought on by my watching of the BBC series The Hour) and so today I decided to indulge myself - yet due to my budget I don't actually own any 40s vintage, but it is still possible to achieve the look.
Here is an example of how you can ( "make-do and mend" ) using your thrifting skills, to transform yourself into a 40s goddess for a day...

For the outfit you will need:

1) A short-sleeved button down blouse. It doesn't really matter too much what colour or pattern. You can often find a lot of white or creme coloured 'granny' blouses in op-shops - which is what mine is. And remember, the women of the 40s made their clothing out of all sorts of old scraps and materials like curtains and hessian sacks!

2) A high waisted, below the knee length, A-line skirt. Mine is a 1970s A-line skirt which I found in an op-shop - (70s skirts are still fairly easy and cheap to come by) or any kind of A-line skirt, even a rap around will do.

3) A neat fitting, thrifted cardigan.

 For the accessories you will need:

Jewellery: A thrifted necklace such as fake pearls or beads - or an old brooch to jazz up the outfit.

Shoes: Espadrilles or another kind of low wedge heel will do well. If you don't have these try using some basic lace-up sneakers worn with ankle socks instead.

Here is my version of the look


Finally

For the make-up & hair:

Make-up: (This is the fun part!) - sit yourself in front of a mirror and paint some black eye liner above your lashes with small cat-eye flicks at the ends. Then add some blush and a dash of red lipstick. If you have a compact mirror, gaze at yourself in the compact mirror while you apply for effect!


 
Hair: I'll be honest - I'm the worst hairdresser in the world. I have very straight, fine hair which never seems to do what I want it to do when it comes to curls. This, paired with the fact that I don't seem to possess any form of patience makes things difficult.
If you can do victory rolls by all means go for it because you're a star and they look amazing. If you're lacking the many hours sitting in front of a mirror that is needed in order to become a proper retro pin-up girl, there is an easy & quick style to start with:

Part your hair in the middle and pull the top front section of hair including the hair that sits above your ear, towards the front (one side at a time). Twist it in towards your parting leaving a looser section of hair up the top (like you would if you were making a pouff) so that it sits up high as you fold the long twist of hair backwards and behind. Pin this twist behind the pouff of hair sitting up  with two bobby pins & spray lightly. You can also curl the ends of your hair with a curling iron if you so wish.

*If you are confused by my lack of pictures, this style is sort of like the beginning of a victory roll, without the roll, so watching an online tutorial for these might help!!*

And voila!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post, I really like the hair!
happy holidays!!

fashionableroad.blogspot.com

Lizzy said...

Thanks for the kind words Nina :)

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Happy new years! x hivennn

Brie G. said...

Love it. 40s fashion is the best. button ups and highwaists never go out of style. xoxoBriee

Lizzy said...

Ah thankyou ever so much ladies :)

JessM said...

I love this outfit, and the fact that you also don't know how to do that tricky 40's hair because I don't either! I end up wearing 40's and 50's outfits with just my normal hair haha.
You look great though, and just from looking at the pictures you look like you know what you're doing to me!:)

summer B* said...

<3 ya beautiful ,you make me want brown hair again :-)

Aliya said...

I adore your cardigan!

x Aliya
www.hillsidestory.net

Edi said...

Mainkan permainan AduQ dengan menggunakan Aplikasi hack Judi AduQ, dimana kemenangan lebih mudah diperoleh dengan aplikasi hack tersebut.

Info Jitu
Cheat Game Onlines
LiveChat Sakong itu99
Agen Judi Samgong ituGol
Tips Bermain Sportsbook ituGol
Trik Akurat Capsa Susun IndoWinBola
Situs Game Sbobet IndoWinBola