Sunday, 10 July 2011

Style Icon: Vivian Westwood



Today I read a short article over breakfast about success in later life that featured Vivian Westwood. I think it is a really wonderful thing to think about people who have done great things later on in there lives because for one thing it shows that youth and beauty are not limitations and that growing old doesn't have to be a down-hill process.

Believe it or not Vivian was a Primary School teacher up until around the age of thirty (can you imagine having the pioneer of Punk as your school teacher?!) before she embarked down the road of fashion design and opened her own Boutiqe with Malcom McLaren which was first called "Let It Rock" and afterwards, most famously "SEX." She is most famous for dressing the Sex Pistols, establishing a new avant-garde Punk style and selling S & M style bondage clothing in her store SEX in the 70s and has been known as a forerunner of style ever since.

She has now been making fashion for over 40 years!
I admire her for her daring sense of style and the fact that she has grown 'old' without losing her sense of fun and vibrancy but also without trying to be something she is not ie. trying to hide her age with plastic surgery. I guess she really is an example of how age is no limit.




The 'scandalous' shop.




I love her orange hair ever so!










3 comments:

Dolly the Bird said...

Isn't she just beautiful? Every time I see a photo of her, old or young, I'm always struck by how vibrant she always looks.
On the flip side, a lot of interviews I've read from recent years make her sound a bit old fogey-ish and slightly bitter. But during my final collections last year, one of my two tutors was Viv's head pattern cutter for years and she had nothing but great things to say about her and how lovely and lively she was. So, who knows!! I'd love to meet her and decide for myself, wouldn't you? :)

summer B* said...

she is amazing and i love how honest she is :),, Practically loved her and Malcolm McLaren’s partnership, it was so sad when he died XXX

Lizzy said...

Yes Dolly she is beautiful! That's amazing that your tutors knows her! I would def love to meet her and see what she is realy like - I can kind of believe the "old fogeyness" as I guess she is getting on eh but I think she's just a very individualistic and vibrant individual. And Lorri I loved her and Malcom too! They look so perfect together in the pictures :)