Monday, 7 November 2011

Slip Inside This House

One of the things I've been enjoying lately has been finding pictures of 60s and 70s house interiors. Many people nowadays consider 60s and 70s housing designs to be gaudy, dark and outdated. Sure - they were often quite dark or decorated with bright, clashing colours and contrasts of light and dark. But my love of things from this era doesn't stop at clothing, and I kind of like the gaudy colours!

My grandparents used to live in a house made in the 70s so perhaps in a way, 70s decor reminds me of them a little. Their house had wooden ceilings and doorways, green bench tops and black kitchen tiles.

I also have this strange obsession with 60s and 70s lighting - or the way artificial light seems to have a different hue in 60s/70s photographs and television than it does today. You can definitely see this in these photos! Technology from this era was often more visually pleasing to the eye also in my opinion. The plastics, heavy rugs, velvets and synthetic materials...the list lovable features is endless.

Here is a collection of some interiors that I think are rather awesome:

Orange, such a great colour. No shortage of it here.






Lovely golden couches and wood paneled walls. May I join you?

How do you put all this into words?!



My personal favourite. Look at those chairs and the bed!



13th Floor Elevators - Slip Inside This House

2 comments:

Wilthomer said...

Brilliant stylophone advert! I've always been amused at looking at the furniture in vintage (60's and 70's) Scandinavian pornogrpahy. In fact awhile back there was a blog that posted photos(of the furniture with the people cropped out)that confirmed my suspicions that I wasn't the only one who noticed these things!

JessM said...

These photos are like the epitomy of my dream house! I love the weird 1970's colors and bad lighting that you talk about haha:). I think it makes everything look different andsort of dreamy, kinda like the Virgin Suicides.
Great Blog as always